Thursday, December 9, 2010

Little miracles in my manger!

    In my search for Christmas sparkle something was missing. Christmas presented itself in all the familiar places, but the truth I saw was in the fact that my manger was empty. All of the setting was in place, Mary and Joseph, the camel, the wise men, the sheep and the star on the scene, but the manger was empty.
    I realized in a chance meeting with friends that the fullness of my manger was there all along. I had truly been looking for things to fill my manger and all along Christ was waiting for me to enjoy the people of my life instead. No wonder the glitter and glamour seemed hallow. The spaces and margins filled with a sad emptiness. Yesterday I was reminded that a person sent by God was in that manger.  Trying to fill my manger with anything other than the Christ Child and the people that God has placed in my life will never be satisfying.
    It took some slowing down, stepping out of the world for a moment, to bring this satisfying joy that comes only from God into my day. It came in the touch of a friends hand and a hug sent from above. It appeared in the smell of fresh bread cooking behind the steam of a warm bowl of soup. It came in the sound of voices, new and fresh and honest. Joy came in the sights around me the seeing hearts pouring out through smiles, eyes lit up and eyes that could swim in heartfelt tears. The joy even settled on me in the taste of the coffee and the tea and the freshness of the soup and the bread. God is Good!
    Thank you God for sending your son to fill the manger. Your son a real person to fill the manger. Your manger was filled with the personification of grace, mercy and forgiveness. I am humbled that you have directed my path to real people and you have provided this tangible concept that in our relationships you provide all that you are to me, grace, mercy and forgiveness seasoned with tenderness.
    Grace, mercy, forgiveness and tenderness, extended to all of the people You send into my life will fill my manger.
    If you read this you know who you are. Sent by God into my life, to make my manger alive with Joy!

No comments: